Skip to main content

Posts

Term 3 Ends and I've lost track!

We are in the term 3 holidays and I have lost track of my PD. I am now definitely using the VIT portal more than any other blog, tool.

At the moment I am in the throes of a project being run by SBS, the CCP & Brimbank council. The project will be exhibited in the town hall for 6 weeks.  I am still shooting though.
Recent posts

March and tons of PD already!

March has almost ended and I have undertaken a heap of PD already.
Firstly there's the dreary bureaucratic stuff! One hour. It was kind of pathetic, the principal lead the session and left the most difficult part till the end, and rushed it leaving more confused people than ever. I was all over it, because it was a simple web based form. More on this later.
Then there was the new paper I tested for the students, 6 hours in EP&T.
Lastly, I made some books to and used the art book fair to try and sell them. 200 hours. I made 2 books. One a simple single sheet zine, which went through two revisions and ended up being constructed of two weights of paper as I created a cover for the final version. The other was a perfect bound book, of about 48 images and printed by blurb. Sadly this arrive late so it didn't get to me in time for the Art Book Fair at the National Gallery of Victoria. All up though it was a fantastic learning experience.

2016 in Reflection?

It would appear I have not kept such good records this year of my Proffesional Development? I have been using my VIT page more I feel. Anyways, I have done a couple of PD online sessions as well as attending a VDC training day.One online training session for DEAT, OH&S, [2 hours]Two days of a TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment in house at NCAT [12 hours]One day of trainging on mental health awareness, Science of Mental Health, by Dr. Maria Roberto, looking at how menalt health develops and developing strategies for helping young people cope. [6 hours]As for creative work I have had work in 2 group shows, both in South Australia. These kept me quite busy this year. [120 hours]

Also the annual 1/2 day VTAC training and I guess that covers me for 2016. [4 hours]Not sure of actual hours though?

Bookmaking 2015

Earlier this year I undertook a Masterclass in bookmaking with Marshall Weber and Stephen Dupont. It was enjoyable, inspiring and challenging. I now have two books sitting in the wings waiting to be made. I printed first drafts over the weekend.
I leaned several things; my #emptyshops book needs to be much, much smaller, probably only 26 images after all. Which makes sense, seeing as it's an homage to Ed Ruscha's 26 gasoline stations. My next instalment of my phone camera photography could work as an A4 sized book. Sadly I ran out of ink for my iPhone book, which is tenthly entitled no photos has me quite excited. Below a couple of screengrabs of each book.
Total time 12 hours, editing and printing.

Industry Liaison 2015-12-09

We visited the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art, The Margaret Lawrence Gallery, and Magnet Gallery. The first two galleries were displaying contemporary art ain innovative and novel ways. This will be used to teach students to think about how they too can apply this knowledge to their own output. Magnet gallery is an output and input lab, it scans negs and makes prints, and has volunteering options for our students to engage and network with the industry.
[4.5 hours]

More Pinhole Tests

I made a print from the first paper negative. Although this is a poor digital reproduction of it.















I also tried two other negatives at different developer times, one 4 minute exposure developed for 6 mins in Rodinal 1+100, the other an 8 min exposure for 2 mins in Rodinal 1+100

Pinhole Camera Experiments

I have the good fortune to be able to access several pinhole cameras. 1 5x4 inch one and an 8 x 10 inch one. Last night I brought home, the 8 x 10 inch one.

I then loaded it with paper and went outside. I have no idea what the aperture of the camera is so my idea was 2 fold.
Try to determine the aperture
Work out a way to make teaching the use of the camera; easy and approachable.

I teach a subject called Experimental Processes and Theory I am adding this to the list of experimental ideas students can approach.

My first exposures were 16 seconds and 30 seconds, I then developed the paper negative in Dektol for 3 minutes. The neg had tons of density in the sky, but shadow detail was lacking somewhat in both negatives, so I decided to increase exposure, next going for 1 minute and 2 minutes, again developing in Dektol. Again plenty of highlight density and some gain in the shadow but not enough for a reasonable print. It seemed that the highlights were blocking up too quickly. This go…