Skip to main content

New Job!

This year I applied and was successful in gaining a new job as a sessional lecturer with Deakin University. The first trimester [11 weeks] was a simple into to photography subject, and dealt with a whole raft of issues I had not dealt with in nearly 15 years since photography had gone digital. The students were taught to use 35mm analogue cameras and shoot slide film. The results were then assessed using a slide projector. Lot's of memories came flooding back as I looked at slides that were either over or under exposed, poorly focus while also dealing with a jamming slide projector. This was a basic class and as such there was minimal preparation, but assessing was tricky as I was only one of several people working with the students and then only for a few hours.
Needless to say learnt a lot in the first trimester.

The second half of the year saw me teaching and lecturing in a new subject for both Deakin and myself. It was very challenging, as it was a theory only subject. The subject is called ACI 103, Thinking Photography: History, Theory and Cultural Context. I gave a series of lectures running over the 11 week trimester, a first for me, and the technology alone was very nerve racking. Fortunately I settled in very quickly and really enjoy the whole series. I also ran a 1 hour seminar afterwards, this proved to be immense fun also as, I was pretty much given a very loose program to run and was able to ad lib extensively. To begin the seminar series however I used some of the PD tool offered by Deakin, to great success. The most rewarding seminar for me was, one that involved the students and their own phones. I asked them to pair  up and show each other the last picture on each others phones. They then had to guess why the picture had been taken. The results were then shared back to the class.

So all up this year has been very busy, preparing the lecture series required an almost tenfold amount of preparation for each lecture, and the seminars required a lot of work too. Initially I was worried about my ability to deliver but in the end it was immensely satisfying, I hope to get the opportunity to teach to again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a day!

Well what a day. Saw some great art, and had a very relaxing day all round. Took comprehensive notes, and will copy and paste once we get home. Made a few pictures, but, all in all just soaked up the art. it was fun and some team building did occur. It would be great to do something similar at some point, in the not too distant future, let's hope the others feel the same!
[Posted with iBlogger from my iPhone]

2016 in Reflection?

It would appear I have not kept such good records this year of my Proffesional Development? I have been using my VIT page more I feel. Anyways, I have done a couple of PD online sessions as well as attending a VDC training day.One online training session for DEAT, OH&S, [2 hours]Two days of a TAE40110 Certificate IV in Training and Assessment in house at NCAT [12 hours]One day of trainging on mental health awareness, Science of Mental Health, by Dr. Maria Roberto, looking at how menalt health develops and developing strategies for helping young people cope. [6 hours]As for creative work I have had work in 2 group shows, both in South Australia. These kept me quite busy this year. [120 hours]

Also the annual 1/2 day VTAC training and I guess that covers me for 2016. [4 hours]Not sure of actual hours though?

March and tons of PD already!

March has almost ended and I have undertaken a heap of PD already.
Firstly there's the dreary bureaucratic stuff! One hour. It was kind of pathetic, the principal lead the session and left the most difficult part till the end, and rushed it leaving more confused people than ever. I was all over it, because it was a simple web based form. More on this later.
Then there was the new paper I tested for the students, 6 hours in EP&T.
Lastly, I made some books to and used the art book fair to try and sell them. 200 hours. I made 2 books. One a simple single sheet zine, which went through two revisions and ended up being constructed of two weights of paper as I created a cover for the final version. The other was a perfect bound book, of about 48 images and printed by blurb. Sadly this arrive late so it didn't get to me in time for the Art Book Fair at the National Gallery of Victoria. All up though it was a fantastic learning experience.